Raspberry Walnut Baklava (vegan)
1 package phyllo dough
1 cup non-dairy buttery spread, melted
1 jar of seedless all-fruit raspberry or black raspberry jelly
1/4 cup water
2 cups chopped walnuts
2 Tbsp cinnamon
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
2 Tbsp agave nectar
1 Tsp vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease bottom and sides of a 9x13 pan.
2. Mix nuts and cinnamon in one bowl and jelly and 1/4 cup of water in another.
3. Place two sheets of phyllo dough in the pan and brush with buttery spread. Repeat three times so there are eight sheets of phyllo and four layers of butter.
4. Spread half of the jelly on top, and then sprinkle with half of the walnut mixture. Top with two sheets of phyllo dough and butter. Then, spread the rest of the jelly and sprinkle with the rest of the walnuts.
5. Layer the remaining sheets of phyllo dough two at a time with butter in between. Brush remaining butter on the top.
6. Use a sharp knife to cut the baklava into 2-inch squares, cutting all the way to the bottom layer.
7. Bake for 40 minutes until golden and crisp.
8. Meanwhile, make the syrup. Combine the sugar, water, agave, and vanilla in a saucepan. Simmer for 20 minutes.
9. Remove baklava from the oven and pour the syrup over it. It may boil and sputter. Allow baklava to cool, then serve.
|I had to snap a picture before it disappeared. It was quite popular.|